Back on tour, again to a city that is beautifully tropical … and about 50 years behind the rest of the world in terms of social change (well maybe not the US at the moment, but that’s another story). Obviously recent world events have brought bubbling to the surface everybody’s fears and opinions, myself included, and I find myself getting into conversations with clients that I usually wouldn’t, usually initiated by them. I have begun to realize how lucky I am to have surrounded myself with wonderful people who are accepting and educated and kind. I have also come to realize that by surrounding myself with people who only share similar interests and opinions to myself, I am ill-equipped to have difficult conversations with people who don’t. I have been rendered speechless so many times this tour by the rampant homophobia, blatant racism and misogyny that I have come across in the clients that I am spending time with. My favorite so far is the wonderful man who hired myself and my friend for a ‘lesbian double’, wanted a strap-on service, and yet was extremely vocal about his hatred and disgust of p**fs.
I just….can’t…wrap my head around that one. I can smell the repressed sexuality from here.
ANYWAY, my point was that the lives of ‘high-class escorts’ aren’t all cash stacks and jet-setting. Here have been some of the highlights.
- Endless loads of washing towels and lingerie.
- Being woken up to housekeeping knocking every morning at 9am, after going to bed at 4am.
- Epic shaving rash and frizzy hair from the humidity.
- Fielding phone calls from some of the stupidest men in existence.
- Getting creative with writing ads 3-4 times a day, knowing that nobody actually reads them.
- Living off coffee and microwave meals.
- Pretending not to want to punch people in the face when they spout racist/sexist/whorephobic views.
- Taking shitty selfies for social media.
- Hand-washing dildos and butt plugs.
- My moods swinging wildly from homesickness to elation and freedom, then back again every 5 minutes.
- Messing up my sleep schedule so monumentally that it’s going to take me a month to get back to normal.
(It’s not all bad though, it has its moments where I feel like an absolute baller; staying in a luxury apartment drinking champagne and dancing around in my underwear with my best friend while we earn thousands of dollars is pretty damn cool.)